A 1-hectare Children’s Garden at Gardens by the Bay , opens to the public today! The garden comes with 5 outdoor playgrounds and loads of play equipment to keep the kids busy.
The Children’s Garden seeks to encourage interaction with nature among children betweem 1 to 12 year olds. There are lots of opportunities for fun and interactive play through integrated play equipment, water play features and educational programmes in a garden setting.
There are both water play and forest adventure. At the Children’s Gardens, kids can “hang out” in treehouses, scale a green ridge, or scuttle under a
passage of arcing water jets. Sensory play can encourage the physical, mental (cognitive) and social-emotional development of children, helping to improve their physical dexterity and eye-hand coordination as they explore the environment around them.
Toddler Play (1-5 year olds)
- Balancing beam
- Play spring seats
- Sway bridge
- Climbing structure with slide
- Toddler swing
- Flower table and seats
- Toddler hammock
- Stepping springs
- Caterpillar topiary trellis
Fish Fountain (2-5 year olds)
- Toddler Water Play area that offers interactive water play suitable for children between 2 to 5years old.
- Seventeen fish sculptures of varying sizes provide the illusion of fish swimming within the play surface. Toddlers can clamber on the sculpted backs and dodge a series of water jets from the sculptures.
Water Play (6-12 year olds)
Water splines, a hydro vault, and orchid-shaped splash buckets are used to form an ever changing series of synchronised water tunnels and water play effects.
- Water splines: Designed as a series of vertical water splines, this water feature creates a forest of “reeds” that are free to spin 360 degrees at the upper portion, like a water hose left unrestrained.
- Hydro vault: This serpentine-like passage of arcing water jets is programmed to be high enough for kids to pass under it, while lower heights in some locations encourage physical encounters with the water stream.
- Orchid-shaped splash buckets: These water buckets tip downward when the volume within their chambers is filled, pouring out the content of water and creating a curtain of rainfall.
The Treehouses (6-12 year olds)
Set within a thicket of rainforest trees, at a top height of 7.5 metres and 4 metres respectively, two treehouses offer a major play attraction with elevated platforms and shelters linked by timber and rope bridges. Each treehouse is a combination of web-like metallic frames that form the branches while a series of hanging rope baskets provides suspended pockets of spaces.
Adventure Trail (6-12 year olds)
The Adventure Trail is a green ridge that runs alongside one half of the perimeter of the Children’s Garden. Likened to a hiker’s trail, it mimics the natural landform with dips and humps.
The following play structures strung along the Adventure Trail encourage a variety of motor skills such as jumping, crossing, reaching up and over, and manoeuvring under a low branch:
- Sway Alley bridge
- Arch net tunnel
- Monkey bars
- Grasshopper spring stepping pad
- Push-up bars
- Spider net
- Hill climbing ropes
- 4-way springer seats
- Revolving Disc
- Climbing rocks and play net
- Balancing beams
- Tubular and double slides
- Spinner bowls
Excited yet? We know we are!
Hours : Children’s Garden will open to the public from 21 January 2014 and admission is free. The play area operates from 9am to 9pm, and closes for maintenance every Monday (or the next working day if a public holiday falls on a Monday of that week).
Where its is: 18 Marina Gardens Drive Singapore, Singapore 018953 The Children’s Garden is located along the waterfront of Bay South Garden, adjacent to the Cloud Forest conservatory. Between the Cloud Forest and Satay by the Bay. It’s about 20 mins walk from Esplanade Mrt
More about Gardens By The Bay
Image Credits: Gardens By the Bay